On September 9th, 2011 I will be flying to East Africa to live, teach, serve and travel for four months. The idea for this trip was birthed over two years ago and its hard to believe it is only two months away. My interest in Africa began when I took an African history course in my fist semester at SFU. From there I developed an interest in teaching overseas and decided to complete an International and Global Education Minor as part of my degree. One of the requirements for this degree is to complete an international teaching experience. Last year I spent a month in Brazil as part of the Omega Global Program at Summit Pacific College. I caught the travel bug and decided to plan my next trip as soon as possible. The Pacific Academy Outreach Society has developed a school in Kibaale, Uganda. Since I have the connections through PA, I decided to volunteer my time in Uganda. Plans have changed a few times but as of right now, I will be helping to homeschool five missionary kids in Kindergarten and Grade 3. Alisha (another PA grad) and I will be running 'school' for the kids for the Fall term. We will be living in Masaka at the Timothy Center which has several functions including a girls college, teacher training and entrepreneurship center. Along with teaching, we will be involved in other service projects involving the African students at the Timothy Center, Kibaale School and in the community. Finally, my dad will be flying out to Uganda in November to volunteer for a few weeks at the school. In mid-November we will leave Masaka and spend the last six weeks traveling throughout East Africa.
Four years ago, I would have never imagined leaving home to live in Africa for four months. The thought alone would have given me a panic attack. Many hours have been spent in prayer about this trip and God has given me an overwhelming sense of His peace. My hope and prayer is that God will use me to bless others and bless my life with this experience. I would not have been able to embark on this journey without the support of my family and friends. Thank-you so much for your love and prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment