Monday, 29 August 2011

Countdown

Finished school on August 15th, work on August 26th and the countdown to my trip has officially begun. Yesterday was my going away party and it is really starting to sink in that I will be leaving in less than two weeks. People keep asking me how I feel and I can honestly say that I am super excited. This is a surprising emotion for me because at this point I would have predicted complete panic. I have moments of nervousness and occasionally get overwhelmed with details but overall I am very much looking forward to this experience. Over the past month I've been slowly collecting the supplies I need. I've got enough medication to remedy every possible sickness along with a large collection of sunscreen and bug spray. A few weeks ago I met with a teacher who lived at the Timothy Center for two years. I was able to ask her all of my questions about living in Masaka. Turns out that people in Africa brush their teeth too and if I happen to forget toothpaste, I can get some in town (haha). I also got a better sense of what I will be doing at the Center. Alisha and I will be meeting in London on September 10th, doing some sight seeing and then meeting with the Drisners (a missionary family who is moving to Masaka) on the 12th to fly down to Entebbe. The two of us will be living together in a guest house in a gated area supposedly guarded by two big dogs. We will have full kitchen facilities to cook our own food if we want to, or we can eat with the girls at the Timothy Center. Our job will be to teach four children in kindergarten and one in grade three. Along with that, we will be meeting up with some kids at a Danish Mission nearby to teach swimming lessons (they have a pool!) as well as some music and PE classes. School is going to be less structured than in Canada and require a lot of flexibility as we take trips to Kibaale, Kampala and into town. Along with teaching the Canadian missionary kids, we will also be involved with the Ugandan girls at the Timothy Center. We've been asked to help teach computer skills, tutor them in various subjects and plan special activities in the evenings and on weekends. Life in Uganda is going to be full and exciting and challenging. I am looking forward to the adventure and life lessons that are ahead. Finally, this amazing opportunity would not be possible without the support of my family. When I say family that includes my Bear Creek family (each and every one of you!), my biological family and my close friends who are like family. I am completely and totally overwhelmed at your generosity and support. I am so thankful that God has placed such amazing people in my life. Thank-you from the bottom of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment